Erin L. O’Dea
|Location:||Poughkeepsie, New York|
Erin L. O’Dea is an associate of Van DeWater & Van DeWater, LLP. Ms. O’Dea joined the firm in 2016 after serving as the 2015-2016 Law Clerk to the Honorable Charles E. Powers, Jr., J.S.C. of the Superior Court of New Jersey, Law Division in Bergen County, New Jersey.
After graduating from Binghamton University, cum laude, in 2012, Ms. O’Dea received her Juris Doctor from the University of Connecticut School of Law in 2015 where she was named a University of Connecticut Scholar, earning her an esteemed full tuition merit scholarship. Ms. O’Dea was awarded a CALI Award for Academic Excellence for her performance in the school’s Moot Court Program, an intensive training program in oral and written legal advocacy. Ms. O’Dea then became a teaching assistant for the Moot Court program.
While in law school, Ms. O’Dea served as the Notes and Comments Editor of the Connecticut Public Interest Law Journal. Ms. O’Dea published the article States Serving Those Who Served: Conn. Gen. Stat. § 54-56e, 14 Conn. Pub. Int. L.J. 301 (2015), commenting on Connecticut’s role, through legislation, in working to expand access for veterans to jail diversionary programs i.e., Veteran Treatment Courts.
Ms. O’Dea was also a Student Tax Clinician at the University of Connecticut’s Low-Income Tax Clinic and served the Greater Hartford Community with the United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut as an IRS-Certified Volunteer Tax Preparer.
Ms. O’Dea has completed internships with the United States Department of Justice at the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Connecticut, the Rockland County District Attorney’s Office, The Connecticut Urban Legal Initiative, Inc. and at The Travelers Institute, the public policy division of Travelers, Inc.
As for her community involvement in Dutchess County, Ms. O’Dea donates time weekly to the Grace Smith House, Inc., an open door to domestic violence victims. Ms. O’Dea is also an active member of the Junior League of Poughkeepsie, an organization committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving communities throughout the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers.
Areas of Practice
- Civil Litigation
- Creditors’ Rights
- Commercial & Residential Real Estate
- Special Prosecutor, Town of LaGrange Justice Court
- New York, 2016
- New Jersey, 2016
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2017
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 2017
- The University of Connecticut School of Law, Hartford, Connecticut
- J.D. – 2015; University of Connecticut Scholar
- Binghamton University, Binghamton, New York
- B.A. (English: General Literature and Rhetoric) – 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association, Member
- Women’s Bar Association of the State of New York, Member
- Mid-Hudson Women’s Bar Association, Member
- Dutchess County Bar Association, Member
- Dilemma for Trustee When Beneficiary Has Addiction, Estate Planning Magazine, April 2016 at 27.
- States Serving Those Who Served: Conn. Gen. Stat. § 54-56e, 14 Conn. Pub. Int. L.J. 301 (2015).